I tend not to post on 9/11.
Why do you ask?
For a lot of reasons.
9/11 reminds me how short life is & I would much rather be spending my time frolicking then glued to my laptop, because I try to spend the day remembering everyone who lost their lives that day and the families that lost loved ones. Because like many others. I will never forget what happened on 9/11.
As most of you know. I am a New Yorker.
Born & Raised.
Its my life and my favorite place in the entire world.
Yes our taxes are outrageous. But I wouldn't give it up for anything.
As some of you know. I am from just outside of New York City. I would say it probably takes me 15 minutes tops to get from my place to the city, depending how bad traffic is.
As a New Yorker, 9/11 devastated me.
I was only in 9th grade when it happened, but I can remember exactly where I was in study hall when we watched on the tv the second plane hit the south tower.
I was too shocked even to move.
My parents came within 20 minutes to pick me up from school.
I sat at home watching the news all day.
Crying, wondering how on Earth could this happen.
Still to this day it doesn't feel real.
Still to this day, I don't get it.
I don't think I will ever get what will possess anyone to want to hurt that many people.
I thank god everyday that I did not have any family in that building or at the pentagon, or traveling.
But I know many people whose families were.
I don't think I will ever get it.
I don't think it will ever feel real.
But maybe thats a good thing
I was once told by one of my professors that the day I stop believing the people I work with and start believing that what they are saying to me are lies, is the day I start losing faith in humanity.
I have unbelievable faith in humanity & can only wait for the day until everyone else does too.
I will never forget.

This is such a lovely post! I remember exactly where I was too...
ReplyDeleteAcross the pond all last week there were programmes about victims, children, the hospitals and I watched 15mins of 1 before I was a hysterical mess.
No one is ever going to forget that horrible, horrible day!
xoxo
Such a thoughtful post. Thanks for sharing. X
ReplyDeletethis was such a beautiful post,. you have some amazing words.<3
ReplyDeletebeautiful post rorie!!! i will never forget that morning in the sixth grade...
ReplyDelete